Advertise on ChoralNet 
ChoralNet logo
The mission of the ACDA is to inspire excellence in choral music through education, performance, composition, and advocacy.

I-9 for Cantata Musician

I use instrumentalists at least twice a year inmy cantata orchestra. (They make less than $600, so that is not an issue.)
My finance person wants them to fill out I-9 forms to prove they are authorized to work in the US. Does anyone else have to do this? I consider them independent contractors, which I think exempts them, according to the Homeland Security site.
Replies (5): Threaded | Chronological
on March 15, 2016 5:19am
I-9s are for people who work for you (employees). Independent contractors work for themselves (Schedule C).
on March 15, 2016 8:12am
on March 15, 2016 9:22am
Your finance person should not confuse their political point of view with the law.
You are correct, s/he is on a witch hunt.  Please stand your ground, and good luck.
on March 15, 2016 11:23am
Thank you for your feedback and information! I lost on this one - no HR people to confer with, and church doesn't want to be liable for hiring someone who is not authorized to work in the US, contractor or not.
on March 16, 2016 7:13am
If in fact proof of residency - or ability to work - is what the church requires, there are other ways to go about that without an I-9 form.
No comment on the house of sanctuary . . .  (sorry)    
  • You must log in or register to be able to reply to this message.