H.S. Music Curriculum- Elective Ideas needed.
Date: September 23, 2015
Good Morning all!
1st off, thank you for taking the time to read this message. I appreciate the years and wealth of knowledge that is ChoralNet and feel fortunante to be connected to all of you!
So, here is the situation:
I teach in a 650-700 populated h.s. I currently have 60 students in a "zero hour" (7:12-7:50a.m.) choir and am able to teach some lessons a couple of days a week. (This is a 40% position this year.) We have a strong band program who meet within the school day and are high ranking on the musicianship scale. There are also 70 students in the band.
I am looking for ideas to expand our music elective offerings for the students. We already have beginning theory and an APtheory course, which are both year long. We need to add some electives that are only 1 semester long as we have more than enough year long courses available in our building.
My other ideas are:
- Music appreciation- general music for HS
- music theater - discussion of history(including opera!:-), appropriate singing techniques, staging, preparation of a piece off of our state list, performance/presentation
- Tri- M chapter (however, I dont know if this could really be a class?! a service class maybe.....i haven't done it before but it looks interesting.. Maybe going out and working with the elementary students, being ambassadors for the school concerts, working in other parts of the community!?)
- Solo/ensemble/chamber group class- we currently don't have solo/ensemble festival so this would be a way to incorporate that
- Music Tech.- garage band, music business, finale/sibelius...other ideas here?
* I am in need of more classes that wouldn't target the 25% of students in the building who are already active in music; we need more for the general population.
Thank you all for your time and wisdom!
Replies (12): Threaded | Chronological